Firstly I will provide a brief background of You Tube and then give advantages of using such a site. According to J. Hopkins in Wikipedia, “YouTube is a video-sharing website, created by three former PayPal employees in February 2005 and owned by Google since late 2006, on which users can upload, view and share videos”.
Summary of benefits (Queensland Government: 2014):
- Demonstrating products – clients can see the products or have a visual reality before heading into the library, and also they would know where to go and what to find at the particular library – especially applies to researchers or students.
- creating community – for example event footage
- demonstrating expertise – demonstrating expertise or providing linkage to other branches
- saving bandwidth – you can include video in your website without slowing down your customers’ download speeds.
- Showing your brand’s ‘personality’
- Leveraging events or promotions
- Solving customers’ problems
more information on this topic can be found at